Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Getting Started

Hello World. This is my first step of a thousand miles. My friend and I have long talked about starting our own business. Well, we wouldn't be starting a business exactly--more like buying a franchise. This blog is my documentation of this journey. And belive me, it's a journey. We have no money, no connections, no family name to trade--nothing. All we have is desire and a dream. Napoleon Hill says that's all we need. If we desire it enough, opportunities will show up. I'm hoping he's right. I'm hoping that the continuous expression of my thoughts and desires will eventually lead to success. I'm putting it out there for God to do what He will with it. Now, don't get me wrong, I know there is work to be done on my part. But I guarantee you when this dream of entrepreneurship is realized, it will be with the help of the Big Guy upstairs because like I said before, I'm starting out with absolutely nothing but desire and talent!

My friend Tonya and I have been friends since we were 12. We've frequently talked about what we would do if we ran whatever company we were working for at the time. We haven't been too diligent at creating opportunities for ourselves within those companies either. We've kinda just floated from one company to another, going along to get along.  I'm not sure what is different about this year though. This year we've finally said we've had enough. I don't know if its the sluggish economy or the fact that we are getting older and less tolerant of BS but we've finally decided its time to do our own thing. We don't feel the need to re-invent the wheel so we're focused on buying a franchise although I think our entrepreneurial dreams will take us to starting our own companies from scratch one day. I just feel like once we get this thing going, we will have to ability to put all the other dreams and ideas we've discussed over the years into place.

As of right now we are looking into buying a fast food franchise (i.e. Subway) or a hair salon franchise (i.e. Great Clips).  And that's our first task to get done. Decide, decide, decide. We are going to get started writing a business plan and we have to base it on some franchise, right?! There are so many options out there but really, I don't see that it matters to either one of us what kind of business it is. I think what we want more than anything is to take control of our lives, create a better future for ourselves and our families and build upon the foundation this business can provide. I know we have the skills to succeed in whatever business we choose.

Next steps: Decide on a franchise. Start a business plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment